Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Business Analytics
The University of Sydney Business School | Reference no. 2437/1218C
- Join an internationally accredited and respected business school
- Work in a collaborative and supportive team environment
- Full-time, continuing, Academic Level B or C role with attractive remuneration package and the possibility of a further salary loading
About the opportunity
The Business Analytics Discipline is a group that combines academics from statistics/econometrics, management science and computer science. We are engaged in all aspects of analysing data, making forecasts and building models to assist in management decisions. The Discipline has research strengths in the areas of financial time series and quantitative risk management; business and economic forecasting; econometrics and Bayesian statistics; computationally intensive estimation; supply chain management and scheduling theory. The group is building up expertise in machine learning and is open to appointing teachers and researchers in other emerging fields in business analytics such as text analytics.
We are currently seeking to appoint a new colleague with expertise in one or more of the major areas of business analytics, including statistics and data analysis, statistical learning, risk analytics, time series analysis, machine learning and operations management, operations research and management science. We are especially interested in recruiting academics with expertise in management science and machine learning.
In this position you will:
- teach at undergraduate and postgraduate level to culturally-diverse student cohorts, and develop curriculum
- make a contribution to the research strengths of the School, including the pursuit of research grants and regular publication in journals of high standing and presentation and dissemination of research at academic conferences
- supervise research higher degree students
- be involved in interdisciplinary collaborations within the University and with external stakeholders
- contribute to academic administration.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. To help staff with caring responsibilities the University also offers pace setting conditions concerning such matters as parental leave and the right to work on a part-time basis.
We are looking for colleagues with:
- significant progress towards, or the completion of, a PhD with specialisation in Statistics, Business Analytics, Machine Learning, Operations Management, Operations Research and Management Science or a related discipline.
- evidence of high quality teaching in Statistics/Machine Learning and/or Business Analytics units, at undergraduate or postgraduate level. As noted above, we are especially interested in academics who have expertise in management science and machine learning.
- capacity to contribute to course and program development
- an active research program with significant potential for future publication
- evidence of successful teamwork and a collegial approach.
This position is your opportunity to join a dynamic group that researchers and teachers in quantitative business analytics and decision sciences.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
Our University of Sydney Business School came into being in 2011 as a result of reorganisation of the Faculty of Economics and Business. We have AACSB accreditation for both our business and accounting programs, and EQUIS accreditation through EFMD, the European Foundation for Management Development. Our business school is the only Australian member school of CEMS - The Global Alliance in Management Education, and we are committed to high quality research which is both rigorous and relevant.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 2437/1218C to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, 20 January 2019 (Sydney time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.